BOUDOIR PREP GUIDE
with Alyssa Bankes Photography
So, let's get you prepped!
I'm so glad you're here! I've made this little prep guide to walk you through what you need to do before and the day of your boudoir session to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible.
The Month Before
- Start shopping! Feel free to post in the Boudoir Group for tips on where to buy from. A few of my favorites are Shein, Adore Me and Amazon!
- Book your hair, waxing & nail appointments (natural nails are totally fine too, just make sure they're clean and free of old polish). If you typically wax, please book that around a week before your shoot, we don't want any red or irritated areas. If you're a shaver, please remember to freshly shave anything that will show in photos (the day before is best so skin isn't cranky).
- Setup your Pinterest board and feel free to send me all of your ideas. This is really important! Pin images and looks that you love. I won't copy them exactly but it will help me get a feel for what you like.
- We can't do your session without the boring paperwork (sorry, I hate doing that stuff too). Please make sure you get your questionnaire, contract and model release filled out as soon as you receive them via email. This will all be sent to you within a day of your inquiry.
The Week Of
- If you plan on freshening up your style, this is a good time to get your hair, nails and any waxing done. Handle all of the things so you're looking and feeling your best come session day.
- Plan your outfits. Make sure they're all clean, ironed or steamed and ready to go. MAKE SURE all tags are removed. Any heels must have clean bottoms and stickers removed.
- HYDRATE. Really. Hydrated skin is happy skin. Dry skin does not take makeup well OR photograph well. Drink half your body weight in water (or non caffeinated tea works too) daily.
- Stretch your body. It will help, I promise! These poses aren't something most of us do on a daily so stretch itttt out
- Eat healthy, happy foods. Please stay away from super salty or fried foods. They make ya bloat and can make your skin upset. Not fun.
- Tanning... the best shade is your natural skin. Trust me. But if you must, this is the ideal time to spray tan. Keep in mind, lines/orange feet can not be edited.
The Day Before
Are you ready?! I'm sure you're feeling nervous and excited. Please don't worry about wearing limited clothing in front of me. I am silly and if you're feeling uncomfortable I will gladly do the session in a sports bra to make you laugh. Please know that we make every effort to have this experience go as easy and as comfortably as possible. I promise you'll feel a whole lot better once you get to the studio.
- Stretch , drink plenty of water, eat healthy!
- Hydrate your skin.
- Pack your bag. Get everything prepared so you're ready for tomorrow!
- Wash your hair. Please do NOT come to the studio on session day with freshly washed hair, especially if your hair doesn't love to be curled. Day old hair plays better with curling irons/wands and is just easier overall to work with. DO NOT ARRIVE WITH WET HAIR.
SESSION DAY !!!
I can't wait <3
- Please be here on time. Please refer to your email for your arrival time. The address of the studio is 88 Main Street in Brockport. We are located directly across from the Strand Movie Theatre. Pleeeease come right on time, not early and definitely not late. If you're late, it cuts into your shooting time and I want you to have all of your allotted time! Also, you may not be my only client of the day so please be kind and courteous.
- Eat! Please eat something healthy and nourishing today. It's important. Protein, veggies and fresh fruit or some oatmeal are awesome choices!
- BREATHE. So, getting naked in front of someone else can be pretty uncomfortable. Being nervous is totally normal and to be expected. I promise we will work through it together. Honestly, most ladies settle a lot during hair and makeup or as soon as I show them the back of the camera because you're all GORGEOUS.
- Arrive in loose fitting, comfy clothing.
- Need an excuse for your significant other? If your shoot is a surprise for someone, tell them you're going to a makeup party.
I also really encourage you to get in touch with me if you're feeling super nervous, want outfit advice, etc... reach out! I promise, you won't be bothering me. Any form of communication works!